Advertisement

Remembering Rory: Monroeville community helping family that lost home and child in fire

Published: May. 18, 2022 at 6:33 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) - The small community of Monroeville is coming together after a family lost everything in a house fire, including their 6-year-old son.

6-year-old Rory McBride died in an accidental house fire on SR 101 in Monroeville, Indiana over the weekend. Fort Wayne’s NBC News has been in contact with the family and they shared some photos of the boy. They say he was a goofy, kind, loving little boy and they are devastated by the loss.

Monroeville rallies to aid family that lost home
Monroeville rallies to aid family that lost home(WPTA21)

The McBride family has to replace everything they lost, including two cars and their home. Several business owners in the community are coming together to help out.

All American #6 gas station manager Shawn Norris says when they learned about the tragedy, they immediately began fundraising. Norris says they’ve raised almost $2,000 and collected clothing, a stroller and some household items. She says the family tells her they no longer need clothing donations but they could use some more household items and toys for their other children.

Monroeville rallies to aid family that lost home
Monroeville rallies to aid family that lost home(WPTA21)

“Just knowing that we’re helping them out. I had something similar happen to my family years ago so I have an idea of what they’re going through,” Norris said. “Knowing that we can make their lives a little better and let them know the community cares.”

The business is offering those who contribute at least five dollars an opportunity to win one of five $100 gas cards. Donations of goods will be accepted during certain hours of the day.

A GoFundMe has been set up for the family to help with funeral costs and other expenses.

Copyright 2022 Fort Wayne’s NBC. All rights reserved.