Court Docs: Cell phone data shows murder suspect near shooting

Witnesses tell police suspect shot victim in retaliation of mother’s shooting death
21-year-old Ahmad Pearson
21-year-old Ahmad Pearson(Allen Co. Sheriff's Department)
Published: May. 18, 2022 at 4:49 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) - Court documents describe the steps investigators used to determine if 21-year-old Ahmad K. Pearson should be charged in the shooting death of Travis Jones.

The 2021 August shooting happened in the 4200 block of South Monroe Street, where Travis Jones was found inside a car that had crashed into a parked car after being shot multiple times. Pearson was later arrested on May 16 and charged with Jones’ death.

Court documents say investigators believed a possible motive for the shooting was in retaliation for the shooting death of Twila Newmon-Jones, Pearson’s mother, in September of 2020. A witness told investigators that they had heard rumors that Pearson planned to retaliate. The witness said they had seen a video of Pearson on Snapchat after the shooting, the documents say, but investigators were not able to retrieve the video.

A search warrant during an investigation of an unrelated homicide turned up five phones and a .45 caliber Glock handgun. The document notes that a .45 caliber handgun was used in the shooting of Travis Jones. When the gun was tested, the shell casings matched the gun and Pearson’s DNA was found on it, the affidavit said.

Then in September, Pearson was taken into custody for something not related to the shooting. Pearson told police that he was not involved in the shooting of Travis Jones and that he was at a friend’s home the entire night. Investigators were able to download cell phone data from Pearson’s phone. Court documents say the data showed that Pearson’s phone was at or near the area of Monroe Street two minutes before the shooting was reported to 911.

Court documents go on to say the phone stayed in the area of Monroe Street for some time after the 911 call. The affidavit says the detective claimed that even though the data hit the same cell phone tower, it would be impossible for the phone to be at the home Pearson said he was at all night because the phone was connecting to different sectors of the tower, documents said.

Copyright 2022 Fort Wayne’s NBC. All rights reserved.