Trial centered on death of toddler moved to early summer
FORT WAYNE, Ind. (Fort Wayne’s NBC) - A Fort Wayne man accused of killing a toddler will get six additional months to prepare his case before going to trial.
On Friday, an Allen County Superior Court judge granted a defense motion to postpone the trial of Shaquille Rowe, who is charged with murdering a 17-month-old boy. The matter had been set for trial on Jan. 4.
Rowe faces three felony counts related to the death of Aiden Clark, who sustained severe injuries at an apartment in the 2700 block of Millbrook Drive in May. A coroner’s report concluded that the cause of death was blunt force injuries to the chest. The coroner noted that Aiden’s sternum was fractured and his heart was “ripped in half.”
Rowe said he was in the shower when he heard crying, and that he found the boy unresponsive, lying on the floor, according to investigative records. Rowe, who was 27 at the time, was dating Aiden’s mother, police said. A dispatcher told police she heard Rowe remark, “Why did she leave me in the house like this?” when the incident was called in.
Copyright 2021 Fort Wayne’s NBC. All rights reserved.